Sweet treats are my weakness. Nothing quells my craving though like chocolaty yummy chocolate chip cookies. My favorite recipe is one I adapted from the Crisco Butter Flavor Shortening can.
1/2 cup butter (one stick)
1/4 cup butter flavor Crisco shortening
1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (optional)*
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine the butter, shortening, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in a large bowl and beat on medium speed until creamy. Beat egg into creamed mixture.
3. Combine flour, salt and baking soda in another bowl and mix. Add to creamed mixture just until all the dry mix is moistened. Stir in the chocolate chips and pecan pieces. *If you choose to omit the pecans, substitute an extra 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
4. Drop batter on ungreased cookie sheet by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart. Bake one cookie sheet at a time at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes for chewy cookies or 11 to 13 minutes for crunchy cookies.
5. Cool cookies on sheet for 2 minutes then remove to cooling racks to cool completely. Or eat them warm, it’s your call 🙂 (if you can’t wait – I never can :D).
Makes about 3 dozen cookies (don’t tell anyone else that or they’ll expect that many to come out of the kitchen ;)).
If you aren’t much of a baker then find someone who’ll make them for you. One great option was reviewed by our friends at GrabBagReviews.com. The store is called Whisked Away Bakery. GrabBagReviews.com is actually holding a contest to win some of their delectable delights. The contest ends on 3/5/09 so head on over to enter.