I'm Whole-Grain Crunchy – How #Crunchy Are You?

So many mom blogs out there, new and old, refer to themselves as “crunchy”. Truth be told I had no idea what in the world that term meant. For a while I thought it had something to do with frazzled nerves or being humorous. After finding that I was being passed over for Eco-conscious events for sites that were openly referred to as “crunchy” I decided to do some research.

Image source: wrinkledmommy.com

I didn’t have to go very far when I found this article by Wrinkled Mommy that laid it all out for me. To my surprise I am semi-crunchy (I sound like a granola bar – delicious, lol).  My actual score on the test was 91 “Mmm! Love that whole-grain crunch!”  According the the criteria gathered while Wrinkled Mama stalked, I mean researched, crunchy blogs and forums “crunchy” moms typically follow these guidelines or try to do these things in their every day lives:

• No Shampoo – “poo free”
  • No Disposable diapers – no “sposies”
  • At home birthing
  • Drug free birthing √
  • No circumcision – “circing”
  • No vaccinating – “vaxing”
  • Extended Breastfeeding (at least over one year) √
  • Baby-led weaning √
  • Baby wearing √
  • Co-sleeping √
  • Full Time Parenting (don’t we all???) √
  • Homeschooling √
  • Organic eating – grow you own veggies and limit consumption of meats √

I failed the “crunchy mom” test — Juicy Gossip Of A Wrinkled Mommy

Click here to view original web page at www.wrinkledmommy.com

Is “crunchy” the new “hippie”?

After hearing the term “crunchy” over and over again…I decided to educate myself as to what it really means to be crunchy. I had an idea of what it was about, but didn’t know the full realm of it all.

Take the actual test here:  How Crunchy Are You?

9 comments for “I'm Whole-Grain Crunchy – How #Crunchy Are You?

1. April 17, 2013 at 10:56 am

I would probably fail the test although I could say yes to 8 of the above items.
    Sherryl Wilson recently posted…The Repeat TestMy Profile

2. April 17, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I still feel confused, I don’t think I’m crunchy.
    Christy recently posted…In honor of a great Mom, please vote for an amazing woman in this photo contestMy Profile

3. krystel
    April 17, 2013 at 8:03 pm

i might be crunchy

4. April 18, 2013 at 2:40 am

I said yes to 5 of the above items so does that make me crunchy?

This has been very educational and interesting! Great post, btw!

• April 18, 2013 at 6:56 am

There is actually a “test” that someone put together to determine your crunchiness – the link is at the bottom of the post 😉

5. Maria Iemma
    April 18, 2013 at 8:35 am

I am afraid that I would get an F – I just realized I am not ‘crunchy’ at all. It’s OK, I like me the way I am.

6. Cami
    April 18, 2013 at 6:20 pm

i got like 5 of them lol i nursed but not a year!! one stopped himself at 6 months and my oldst stopped at 10 months!! they stopped by themself!! or I would’ve continued to nurse

7. April 21, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I have recently been thinking about trying to go “poo free” and my interest has been piqued about using soap nuts to wash laundry. I am definitely NOT crunchy but I think I “want to be” – does that count? I had never heard of the term “crunchy” until a few weeks ago and I couldn’t understand why it was called crunchy. I have been reading a few “crunchy” blogs and I guess it is a play off of “granola mom”.
    Amanda recently posted…New $1.00/1 Brookside Chocolate Printable = FREE At CVSMy Profile

• April 21, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Amanda, I was as confused as you when I first heard that term. If you have a chance to do the test in the link at the end of the post it’s mind boggling what is considered being “crunchy”.