Prepare for Next Year’s Garden Now With A Straw Bale Garden

Most gardens in the North and Midwest of the country are already asleep for the season.  There may be a few cool season plants, like kale, hanging on for dear life and filling our bellies with garden fresh goodness.  It’s not too early though to think about your garden for next year.  In a traditional setup you have to think about digging, double digging, amending, weed prevention, etc., etc.  If you are like most avid gardeners your planning for next year starts almost as soon as the last spent plant is pulled out of the dirt in the fall.

Why not consider straw bale gardening? This is the time of year when straw is readily available and you can get started with your setup now.  It’s a process that is simple enough and reduces space issues in such a way that even urban gardeners can use this method in rooftop or patio gardens.  Check out the infographic below from Fix.com to learn about the benefits of straw bale gardening and how to do it right.

Source: Fix.com

8 comments for “Prepare for Next Year’s Garden Now With A Straw Bale Garden

1. Robin (Masshole Mommy)
    November 18, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I don’t have a garden, but this makes perfect sense to me. It sounds like a good plan for gardeners,

2. November 18, 2015 at 3:25 pm

This is so neat! I have never heard of straw bale gardening until now. Thank you for the helpful information!
    Andrea H recently posted…Rent Their Toys & Save Money with PleyMy Profile

3. November 18, 2015 at 11:05 pm

Interesting. I’ve never heard of this so I showed it to my husband – he’s the gardener in the family. We grow all of our vegetables and some fruits.
    Patty recently posted…Help Those In Need This Holiday Season so They Don’t Get Caught WithoutMy Profile

4. November 19, 2015 at 1:05 am

I learned so much from reading about this process. I had no idea this was even possible!
    Liz Mays recently posted…Taking It Easy | Glamping in Asheville, NCMy Profile

5. OrangeFlask
    November 24, 2015 at 12:54 pm

This looks like a good idea to do. I don’t do any gardening but my in laws do. My kids would probably enjoy some of these.

6. November 24, 2015 at 1:00 pm

I have an incredibly brown thumb \{and have a small backyard in the desert\} but I would love to do this if I didn’t think everything would die immediately! I’ve never heard of doing this but it looks really cool.
    Shell376 recently posted…Quiet Evening Hot Cocoa Recipe &Dealing With Dairy Envy During the HolidaysMy Profile

7. OrangeWrench
    November 24, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Amazing! My 10 year old would love to do this.

8. RedPlanet
    November 24, 2015 at 1:01 pm

I’ve never heard of straw planting before but this looks amazing! My 8 year old would love to start her own little bale garden.