This time of year the smell of cinnamon warms your soul and reminds you of when you were small and grandma baked snickerdoodles, cakes and pies. Here are 18 recipes to prepare in your own home using this spice.
Stay tuned to the end to find 2 very interesting non-food uses of cinnamon.
1. There is nothing like the smell of freshly baked cinnamon rolls first thing in the morning. Forget Cinnabon. Make these at home.
2. Aside from tamales there are few street foods that remind me of Mexico City and visiting my family more than churros. Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside an coated with generous amounts of sugar and cinnamon. It’s a thing of beauty.
3. Growing up it was always difficult for me to see my mother not being able to partake of our sinfully sweet concoctions because she cannot tolerate sugar in any form. What bothered her more was she couldn’t eat fruit anymore which she loves; that what she envied. When we found out our oldest daughter was gluten intolerant and that gluten is in E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G I was afraid she was going to go through the same. Gladly, we’ve learned how to manage her diet and with so very many gluten free options available she doesn’t have to feel left out. Check out these Gluten Free Cinnamon Spice Cupcakes.
4. Cinnamon in the morning? Well, yeah! How bout with some chocolate? OOOOO, now you’re talkin’.
5. Here is another gluten free breakfast or snack option loaded with cinnamon.
6. Who said cinnamon was just for sweet drinks and pastries? Here is a barbecue inspired cinnamon soaked ribs recipe.
7. Granted, cinnamon is not in the title of this one, but these soft and chewy home made pretzels can be sprinkled with cinnamon sugar – see the directions.
8. If you are lucky enough to have a waffle iron handy you can make these scrumptious cinnamon bun waffles.
9. Though many of these recipes could make me fat just by looking at them this one is a much healthier option – Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips.
10. Create your own sweet and creamy dip for apples and crackers or spreading on toast.
11. Want to make a cinnamon-spicy cocktail? Try this syrup.
12. Croissants on their own are marvelous pastry. Laced with cinnamon they are nearly divine.
13. This use of cinnamon with fish is a bit more difficult for me to get behind, but whatever floats your boat – Cinnamon Fish Cutlets.
14. This recipe reminds me a great deal of the Cinnamon Apples you can get at Cracker Barrel Country Restaurant. Here’s a great way to emulate that warm and sweet dessert at home.
15. You’ll find richness and spiciness to the max in this recipe for Buttery Cinnamon Bars.
16. Spicy, savory, meaty – need I say more.
17. If you can’t get enough PSL from Starbucks, maybe you should try this recipe at home with your Keurig.
18. After you’ve indulged in all the recipes above you may need to down a few of these detox cocktails.
You’ve reached the BONUS ROUND!
19. Cinnamon is good for more than just food. Check out these last two uses of cinnamon for skin care and pest control!
20. Get rid of ants with Cinnamon Oil
This post may contain affiliate links.