With less than a month left before Spring officially begins it’s time to start thinking about creative ways to improve or begin your garden.
The phenomenon that is Straw Bale Gardening continues with the March 20 publication of Straw Bale Solutions: Creative Tips for Growing Vegetables in Bales at Home, in Community Gardens, and around the World, by Joel Karsten.
Since he created Straw Bale Gardening at his home in Minnesota, Karsten has written two best-selling books and talked to thousands of gardeners in dozens of countries to spread the SBG word. In Straw Bale Solutions, Joel harnesses the collective wisdom and ingenuity of gardeners around the world who have begun growing in straw bales to share with gardeners everywhere. Featured examples include:
- A community garden in New Jersey turns a site deemed contaminated by the E.P.A. into a food haven
- In Cambodia, Straw Bale Gardens grow food during monsoon season – for the first time
- No space for crop rotations, no problem: a small community garden is more abundant thanks to straw bale gardening
- Rocky soil in the Rocky Mountains and 6,000 feet above sea-level – and 50 straw bales growing fresh produce
- In Australia, a passion turns into a more economical way to garden – and a profitable business
With nearly thirty examples of success from around the world, Straw Bale Solutions shows how any gardener – in any climate, on any continent – can grow beautiful fresh vegetables, faster and easier, with less water, and no weeding. In Straw Bale Solutions you will meet dozens of Straw Bale Gardeners who will inspire and educate, showing how their experiences will enable anyone to write their own SBG success story.
Straw Bale Solutions: Creative Tips for Growing Vegetables in Bales at Home, in Community Gardens, and around the World
By Joel Karsten
Paperback | 176 pages, 128 color photos
$24.99 US, $27.99 CAN
Available March 20, 2018