Everybody is a Genius

Everybody is a Genius

. . . That is according to Albert Einstein. One of his famous quotes is, “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” Ever feel like you are a fish trying to climb a tree?  I do more times than I care to admit.

Reading this quote the other day made me reflect on my abilities and our lifespan. When you think about mankind through history – how many millions of people finish their earthly course without feeling fulfilled? How many people go through their lives constantly changing what they do and what they think they like never to find what they are truly good at?

Over the centuries we have very callously referred to individuals who lack what we consider common sense and the ability to understand abstract concepts but have an uncanny ability to remember specific facts or develop an artistic ability as idiot savants. Thinking of this quote makes me realize that they have something that the rest of us lack – the ability to hyper-focus on one thing. Another one of Einstein’s sayings is, “It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.” Holy Cow – epiphany! We would all have the potential to be as ‘smart’ as Einstein if we had the time to focus our attention and our passion on what we are naturally good at.

If you look at job change statistics you will see how many millions are facing the same dissatisfaction or frustration of not knowing what they are good at. On average a person will change jobs 11 times before they turn 44. Not only that, but they will probably change careers 5 to 7 times in their lifetime. This trend has slowed somewhat with the need for having a secure job in a down economy.

Have you ever heard of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs? Basically, once your needs for food, clothing, shelter and safety are adequately met your “needs” change focus. You are more able to attempt to fulfill your need for personal satisfaction and growth – self-actualization. For many in first world nations this is where our focus is as long as we have our social and esteem needs met as well. Sadly, in third world countries this isn’t the case. Being able to focus on what they are ‘good at’ is superseded by the need to eat, protect themselves from the environment and other humans and survive under oppressive regimes.

Does this ever make you wonder if this life is really all it’s supposed to be? Is this really all there is? From the name of my blog you’ve probably come to realize that I believe we are created from this Earth we live on. I believe there is a Creator who provided this planet and all it’s abundance. I also believe that He has a plan for correcting all the ills on this Earth and that one day all who choose to obey Him will have the opportunity and the time, indefinitely, to discover and perfect what they are good at without having to fear a lack of food, failing health, old age or even death. This Earth will be returned to a Paradise condition the way it was originally intended with perfect (physically and morally) individuals inhabiting and caring for it. We have hope from the Bible that those ruining the Earth will themselves be brought to ruin (Revelation 11:18). The Bible also tells us that the ‘meek will inhabit the Earth and have their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace’ and the ‘righteous will possess the earth and will reside forever upon it’ (Psalms 37:11, 29).

Would you like to live in a Paradise earth filled with perfect people and unending time to accomplish your purpose without the fear of death?

photo credit: sfjalar via photopin cc

11 comments for “Everybody is a Genius

1. annie page
    April 12, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Its to bad teachers don’t read or listen to Einstein because I think are children in school could profit from doing being different and working at a problem longer then others don’t make you slow or dumb just different every one has a field they are better in then others as we get old we learn this but as a child it is not teached to them it ok to be different we all cannot be the same

2. April 13, 2013 at 10:36 am

Personally, I believe the Bible teaches that this present earth will be burned up on Judgment Day. The apostle Peter explains it this way…

“But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.” (2 Peter 3:10-14)

We will all stand before Christ on that great day and He will judge every single one of us. The righteous will get to enter into the gates of Heaven and the sinners will spend eternity in Hell.

Jesus stated, while on this earth, that He would go to some other place (Heaven, which is some place other than this earth) and make it ready for His followers…

“In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.” (John 14:2-3)

When Christ returns on Judgment Day, the righteous will meet Him in the clouds to spend eternity with Him in Heaven. This physical earth will then be “dissolved”…

“But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep (dead), that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.” (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18)

Heaven will be glorious… even more than we could ever imagine! I want to spend my eternity there with God & my Saviour Jesus Christ. To me, that makes this temporary life here on earth worth living. I know that God is by my side. He gives me strength in every trial and gives me hope, peace, and joy. I’m looking forward to that mansion that Christ has prepared for me. 🙂

• April 13, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Connie, I also recognize those scriptures you cite. Peter does refer to the heavens and earth passing away with great heat and a hissing noise. But we have to carefully consider how can this be true of the physical earth if previously the Bible tells us that the meek will inherit the earth and live forever upon it? Also, Isaiah 45:18 says, “For this is what Jehovah has said, the Creator of the heavens,+ He the [true] God,+ the Former of the earth and the Maker of it,+ He the One who firmly established it,+ who did not create it simply for nothing, who formed it even to be inhabited:+ “I am Jehovah, and there is no one else+” (italics mine). So does the Bible contradict itself? When you take the Bible as a whole you notice that there is much symbolism, illustrations and metaphors that we have to carefully dissect before coming to the conclusion that they are literal or not – especially in the case where there is another scripture that seems like it may contradict the cited idea. In the Bible government authorities (kingdoms) are often referred to as heavens and the earth as the people over which those governments rule. Given that the Bible itself states that the Earth will last forever could it be possible that the heavens and earth that Peter here refers to are governments and the people they rule?

As for hell, I do believe it exists. It exists as the common grave of man referred to in the Bible as Hades, Sheol and Gehenna. In the Greek scriptures Jesus was referred to as being in Sheol for three days though he did not see corruption of the flesh. Since Jesus was sinless, guileless and perfect would he be deserving of spending even one moment in a place of pain and eternal torment? If I should die in this system of things I know I will go to hell – not a burning place of torment – but a hole in the ground, the common grave. I have faith that God if he so wishes can remember my every detail and bring me back to life on Earth just as he did for Lazarus and Jesus and others who were resurrected by Elijah and Elisha. Speaking of Lazarus – consider this – if his rightful place as a faithful, God-fearing man was to be at God’s right hand in the heavens why on earth would Jesus so callously pull his life force away from such a beauteous place and put him back on Earth only to face death once again. To me that seems cruel – to have something so beautiful and completely perfect beyond comprehension pulled away from you. Like winning the lottery just to have it taken away from you. Or what of Jairus’ daughter whom Jesus referred to as sleeping in death. If she were in heaven with God why would Jesus pull her back to earth?

I do believe there are a select few chosen of the earth who will rule as kings and priests with Christ in heaven for a short time. Adam and Eve were given a job and a perfect earth to care for and that job has not yet been accomplished. Because of Christ’s sacrifice we have a direct line to pray to his Father for forgiveness, for his Holy Spirit and to help us stay close to him in this wicked world. We also have the opportunity to be part of all the promises that Christ’s new covenant brings for those who will inhabit the literal heavens and literal earth and to keep separate from the figurative heavens and earth spoken of by Peter. I too hope to spend eternity with Christ and his Father in the Earth he so lovingly and thoughtfully put together for us to care for and inhabit.

3. krystel
    April 13, 2013 at 6:39 pm

i believe everybody is samart in their own way

4. April 14, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Hi Lucero,

Thank you for sharing this at the Show Off Blog Party. I’m working on my PhD in I/O Psychology so this really was an awesome read! I am also very spiritual too. I think everyone can show their full potential if they WANT to do it. A lot of it is based on how they perceive themselves too. As a matter of fact it reminds me of a book I read on the Halocaust. It was about a man who survived the concentration camps and how he did it – through his thought process and spirituality. Thanks a million for sharing! I hope you visit us again at the next blog party!

Jessica
    The Wondering Brain
    Jessica recently posted…My Favorite Posts SHOW OFF Weekend Blog Party #1My Profile

• April 15, 2013 at 8:59 am

Jessica thanks so much for your comment. I agree that self-perception does have a lot to do with how successful we are in the endeavors we pursue. There was a post on RX Fitness Lady that reminded me to just smile and how much better makes us feel about our own situation, what we are doing and the people around us. Stories of those who survived the Holocaust are very inspiring and something we should never forget.

5. April 15, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I love these quotes. I had not heard the staying with problems longer one before. Thank you for sharing this.
    Miranda W recently posted…Way BehindMy Profile

6. shawna scott
    April 16, 2013 at 12:18 pm

i cant wait for the day there in no longer death and starvation and sickness and suffering. how great is our God that we will one day only know happiness and praise!

7. dicran
    April 16, 2013 at 4:55 pm

thats true everybody is smart at their own way, but not everybody have the same contitions to study and express themselves, everyone have their own abilities the thing is to improve them

8. gigi borden
    April 17, 2013 at 10:02 am

I have always loved Albert Einstein and his theories, thanks for sharing this, very insightful!

9. April 18, 2013 at 11:50 pm

That is so true. I love Albert Einstein. A very smart man!
    Mary W. recently posted…K9-Rx: Nutrition Supplement For DogsMy Profile