Make Your Plan to Get In Shape

My post pregnancy pudge still haunts me.  It’s been five years so really I don’t have an excuse.  I could say depression and other things have gotten in the way, but there have been good times in between where I could have done something.  I think I resigned myself to the image in the mirror and let it weigh me down emotionally.  Have any of you experienced similar things?

exercise6

Spring is very close and bathing suit and shorts season is close behind.  The last thing we want is for cottage cheese thighs, saggy butts, wobbly dimpled arms and squishy middles to taunt us another season.  We shouldn’t allow them to shame us into wearing long pants and long sleeve shirts.  Guilt us out of going to the block parties and barbecues because we might gain more weight.  It’s time to stop feeling uncomfortable. It’s time to be finished with the burden we’ve carried for so long.

It’s not just about weight either.  It’s about being strong and healthy.  Each pound we shed of fat we replace with strong, lean, beautiful muscle.  Though unlike a sculptor who molds and chisels from the outside we will sculpt and form our bodies from the inside out.  It will be frustrating at first.  It will be hard.  But it will be worth every ounce of effort and endurance you put forth.

So, what’s your plan to change your body for this good this year. . . and every year after?  We can’t think of this process as something temporary or it will be.  Last year I allowed an emotional upheaval get the best of me and squelch the 20 pound loss I’d achieved.  I haven’t gained it all back, but I don’t want to gain any more, that’s for sure.  My husband said I depress him because it seems like I’ve given up on myself.  I hadn’t really thought about it that way, but I guess I had.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Here are some ideas for ways to get in shape today and for good -

• Start walking.  Any activity is better than no activity.  Walking is low impact and can be done by even the most sedentary of people.
  • Ride a bike.  If you have a bike and can ride then use it.  Bundle up on cool days and go even if it’s just for 10 or 15 minutes.
  • Look on YouTube for exercise demos or videos that you can do.
  • Join an online weight loss support group or workout club.  Blog about your successes and failures.  Keeping track of what you do can be motivating.
  • Go to the library and rent some exercise DVDs that you can do at home.  Oh, and by the way, DO THEM!  There are typically videos available from old 80′s aerobics tapes to 90′s HipHop and modern day Yoga or Pilates and Cross Training.  Switching things up will help to maintain your level of motivation and avoid stressing your muscles.
  • If being at home is too much of a temptation to not do anything then join a gym.  The outlay of cash every month is a good motivation to get out of the house and actually use the membership.  Find the machines intimidating and don’t know where to start?  Afraid of lunkheads? Join a local Curves exercise center.  Their 30 minute circuit allows you to use different machines at specified intervals. You get a complete head to toe workout in just 30 minutes without having to worry about lunkheads, intimidating machines and too fast classes.  Check out curves.com for a location near you.

If you enjoyed this article, Get email updates (It’s Free)

Author Info

14 comments for “Make Your Plan to Get In Shape

1. March 17, 2014 at 1:19 pm

It’s time for me to get on the ball again. I just hit 7 weeks pp so I can exercise again. I’ve lost ALMOST all of the baby weight, which is a great motivation! Now to keep going and lose all the weight from the other 3 babies!
    Paula @ Frosted Fingers recently posted…Fresh Step Extreme Odor Control LitterMy Profile

2. March 18, 2014 at 10:05 am

I’v totally stopped exercising and just lack the motivation to get started again
    Penelope recently posted…Honey Baked Tofu And Mushroom Risotto (French Oven Recipe)My Profile

• March 18, 2014 at 2:52 pm

All I have to do is look in the mirror and know I have to do something. Don’t even ask me what stares back at me when I get on the scale. Scary stuff.

3. March 18, 2014 at 5:04 pm

I try to remember to start out slowly so that I don’t get frustrated and too sore right away. That makes me give up. Easing into it works for me.
    Liz Mays recently posted…Staying Organized & Planning Ahead with Free #HPPrintablesMy Profile

4. March 18, 2014 at 10:55 pm

You’re not alone. Just take it a day at a time. Try to move more each day and make healthier food decisions a step at a time.
    Angela recently posted…Lemon Orzo with ChivesMy Profile

5. March 18, 2014 at 11:11 pm

I’m so frustrated with myself for gaining more than half the weight back that I lost last year. And, I can’t seem to get motivated at all to exercise. I really just need to do it!
    Donna recently posted…What’s Your Prom Dress Personality? #spon #promMy Profile

• March 19, 2014 at 10:17 am

The same thing happened to me. I weighed in this morning and lost a pound! YAY! I can’t let the fact that I’m losing it for the second time get to me. New day, new process. You just have to remember time is not on our side and it will just get harder. We are young and virile (ok, ok, we aren’t getting any younger, lol) we need to use it to our advantage ;).

6. March 19, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I do my best to stay fit by working out 5-6x a week and eating right for the most part. Sweets will forever be my downfall.
    Marcie W. recently posted…Wordless Wednesday – 3/19/14My Profile

7. March 22, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I took 2 weeks from being sick and am ready to get back into it.
    Anne – Mommy Has to Work recently posted…Spring Break, Part 1My Profile

• March 25, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Best of luck getting back into your groove! Glad you’re feeling better.

8. March 23, 2014 at 6:10 pm

This must be on everyone’s mind today. I have weight loss on my mind too. I desperately want to shed some pounds before my trip in July. So, that means I have only three months to make even a bit of a difference in how I look and feel. I know I won’t lose a lot of weight between now and then, but one can make a dent at least in that period of time, right? That’s only 34 pounds, but that is a nice dent.
    Crystal Green recently posted…True Love by Jude Deveraux Book ReviewMy Profile

• March 25, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Absolutely you can! I just watched an episode of Dr. Oz where he lays out the plan for his 2 Week Rapid weightloss plan and it looks like it might just work. The one that floored me was the lady who lost 22 lbs. in the 2 week trial. He advocates turning this into a lifestyle. The writer of First Time Mom and Losing It has been on the plan for 2 months and 1 week and has lost 34 lbs.

9. March 24, 2014 at 12:07 am

One of my best friends had a lot of success at Curves. There isn’t one nearby, but I’d love to eventually see how it works if one is opened closer.
    Mickey recently posted…Caribe Royale – Orlando Florida Family ResortMy Profile

• March 25, 2014 at 4:37 pm

I used to belong to Curves. It was literally two blocks from my house and I still didn’t make it every day. That’s the key like with anything – discipline. At the time I didn’t have it.