Moving Into A New Place? Quick Ways to Make It Feel Like Home

With a new school year beginning there are thousands of young people moving across the state and across the country and even across the world to attend classes.  The move can be daunting, intimidating and lonely for the first time away from home.

If you’re moving into the dorms on campus you are going to be limited in how you can change your space to make it your own.  You want to make it feel like your room at home as much as possible without cramping your roommate’s style.  Your choice of sheets and comforters, rugs, desk, lamps, storage bins and even garbage cans can add style that is warm and inviting.  Wall art may even be an option depending on dorm rules.  Plus, there are new non-marring hooks you can use that won’t damage drywall or paint jobs. You want this to be your oasis on campus; your escape from a long day of classes, study and practices.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

If your new place is an apartment or a shared house your options may be much wider.  You’ll have more freedom to change wall colors, put up wall paper, hang artwork, set up an entertainment area, and introduce comfortable and stylish seating.  Do you have a special collection that you’d like to display? Choose wisely what you plan to bring especially if this living arrangement is only temporary.  For longer term arrangements you may consider bringing a prized collection to help keep you happy when days get long and tedious.

For those like me who don’t have collections to display but don’t like to have bare walls you may think about acquiring some inexpensive artwork. Posters are always popular.   Whether it’s an actor, a kitten, a movie poster or a picture of your favorite band a poster is an inexpensive way to share your fandom.  Make sure you protect your favorite posters from the sun and tape damage with a UV protective glass and spruce them up with a  decorative frame.  A good place to find this would be WholesalePosterFrames.com. If you are crafty or creative you can create poster size piece of personal art to display on your wall.  Collages of family pictures are always a fun way to display images that bring warmth to your home away from home.

What is your favorite way to spruce up a room?

This post was created in cooperation with MediaBoat.

19 comments for “Moving Into A New Place? Quick Ways to Make It Feel Like Home

1. September 4, 2014 at 3:25 pm

I’m so not the best at decorating, but I guess I would say a fresh breeze through an open window is how I spruce things up, lol.
    Jesica H recently posted…The Fault in Our Stars – a must watch!My Profile

2. September 4, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Once I find a house, one of the first things I am going to do is paint the walls the colors I want them to be! Apartment living isn’t for me since it is hinders my freedom from doing just that.
    HilLesha recently posted…Chico’s Stands Up to Cancer: Shop Chic for a Cause with Limited-Ed​ition ScarvesMy Profile

3. September 4, 2014 at 5:30 pm

I love to add fresh flowers and pops of color!
    Shop with Me Mama (Kim) recently posted…Dollar Tree: Name Brand Items For Only $1!My Profile

4. September 4, 2014 at 5:35 pm

I know when I move, I want to buy all new things & redecorate. But I’m finding that it’s really important for the kids to keep some things the same so it feels like home still.
    Crystal recently posted…Meet the New Students of Monster HighMy Profile

5. September 4, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Favorite way to spruce up a room is buying a few new small things like throw rugs and pillows and adding old things like pictures in frames and favorite knick knacks.
    Anne-Marie @ This Mama Cooks! On a Diet recently posted…Mock Lemon-Limeade and Sparkling Apple SangriaMy Profile

6. September 4, 2014 at 10:27 pm

I like to paint!

7. September 4, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Great ideas! I think putting stuff up on the walls can make it feel like home quickly for sure.
    Melissa recently posted…Creating a Back to School Morning Routine for MomMy Profile

8. September 4, 2014 at 10:47 pm

I love unpacking, organizing and decorating… it is one of my most favorite things to do ! 🙂
    Rachel recently posted…Tips to Have Fun While Staying Active as a FamilyMy Profile

9. September 4, 2014 at 11:39 pm

We’re in a rental house and I’m not sure if we can put anything on the walls. I love having pictures and art on the walls so these bare walls are killing me!
    Mimi recently posted…Having a Healthy Essentials Transition Back to SchoolMy Profile

10. September 5, 2014 at 6:59 am

I’m not big on decorating at all, I put up what I like. My walls are full of family photos and my collection of Disney mini bean bags as well.

11. September 5, 2014 at 8:27 am

Fresh paint can always make a room look better.
    Jennifer H recently posted…2015 Mazda6 Grand Touring ReviewMy Profile

12. September 5, 2014 at 11:15 am

I like to put personal photos out and seasonal decor to spruce up a room. A little bit can go a long way!
    Kimberly Grabinski recently posted…How to Get the Perfect Work-Life Balance with Your Home Crafts BusinessMy Profile

• September 5, 2014 at 4:02 pm

My sister-in-law has her collection of decor for each season. Her home looks different every time we come over. I don’t know how she does it.

13. September 5, 2014 at 11:26 am

ITs amazing how much paint can transform a space. Also family photos make it feel warm
    Joy Williams recently posted…You are ok child, You are MORE than OK!My Profile

14. September 5, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I like to paint! Some of those rooms are beautiful!
    Sara Phillips recently posted…Date Night with MARVEL and M&M’s {Captain America Cake} #shop #HeroesEatMMsMy Profile

15. September 5, 2014 at 7:43 pm

A fresh coat of paint and a breeze through open windows definitely spruces up a room for me. Though I have to say, our new furniture and bedspread made a HUGE difference for our bedroom this year!
    Jamie H recently posted…School Has Started!!My Profile

16. September 5, 2014 at 10:10 pm

I love bright colors and fun fabrics!

17. September 5, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I love for my sis to decorate my home. I will be moving to Austin TX and I can’t wait for my sis to decorate my new place, she’s the best.
    Notorious Spinks recently posted…Ruby Tuesday: BOGO for a Limited Time #sponMy Profile

18. Kathleen
    September 7, 2014 at 10:12 pm

These are great tips. One of the hardest things about moving into a new place is how to make it feel like your own, and these tips do that perfectly.